Shaka: All right, what was that quote you just told me?
Friend: Religion is cultural OCD
Shaka: Cultural OCD?
Friend: Cultural OCD.
Shaka: Now I know what ‘cultural’ is as far as meaning what region of the world you are born in…
Shaka: …and I can understand the OCD part because we all have like this tendency to say we are struggling with anxiety; I don’t know if you agree with this, but you tell me your opinion, because I’ve kind of gotten to this point where I think that everyone in the millennial generation, or not even the millennial generation, but the information technology generation we are in, we all have this social anxiety. You saw recently how those, what are they called? Fidgeter spinners?
Friend: Fidget Spinners? They caught on like crazy…
Shaka: Yeah, exactly…
Friend: They just exploded
Shaka: I know, and I guess I am building off that, but what do you mean OCD?
Friend: By Cultural OCD, okay my thoughts on that are: OCD is something that you are born with and you don’t really have much of a say in it and a lot of it depends on genetics. It is a random chance thing. Now you look at it as a human race thing, and it is a random chance thing that you are going to be born into a religious family. That is most of the world. Most of the world is religious if you think about it. The largest religion in the world is Islam, the second one behind that is Christianity (According to Wikipedia, my friend here is incorrect: Christianity currently has the largest religious population with Islam coming in second: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations). Then you have all the smaller sects that break off from that. So, you have this big, big, big chance of being born into, for a lack of a better term, into an indoctrination. You are born into a family that believes something. All right, the way I look at the OCD part, you have the beginning that determines if you are born into this “disorder”. Just like OCD, you have a certain set of standards that you have to do. Like OCD, there is the ‘normal human’ and then there is the human with OCD that has to do things in a particular way. In regards to religion, you are born into this family and they have these rules that are put on them by an indirect source, God. They follow the rules because they feel that it is the right way, it is the right thing to do. Many cultures, like Islam, almost everyone is religious, and there are almost no atheist (at least publicly). They are born into this set of rules, moral guidelines that were given to them from birth. They don’t have a say in it, just like you don’t have a say in OCD, both dictate your life. So, religion in my eyes is a cultural OCD; not everybody has it just like not everybody has OCD. Most people who are religious from the start generally don’t leave their respective religion. People, who are born Catholic, generally continue practicing Catholicism.
Shaka: What would you say about relating this thought to the ‘Power Law’? I’ll give you an example of the power law: If I own a business, 80% of my sales come from 20% of my customers. Another way of describing it…
Friend: …Is that the 80/20 thing that the Marines talk about? Where you give it 20%… never mind that is a different thing.
Shaka: It is also referred to as Pareto’s Law. 80% of your productivity comes from 20% of your habits. 80% of how my life will be dictated is from 20% of my personal beliefs.
Friend: Okay, so in a company, I may have 80% of people who might follow a rule some of the time, and I’ll have 20% of people who follow that same rule all of the time.
Shaka: So like at a Church, out the 100% of people who attend, 80% just go because they were raised that way, and then the other 20% are the ones who are hardcore. They go to seminary; they stay after ‘big church’ and go to the small group studies afterwards. I was reading statistics on the health market, and 80% of all the health costs in the industry come from 20% of the patients.
Friend: Those suffering from debilitating sickness or are constantly in and out of the hospital? Non-curable diseases? Interesting. Is that why a Band-Aid costs me $500 dollars at the Hospital?
Please feel free to join the conversation by adding your comment below, I would love to hear your thoughts.
And as always, thank you for reading.